Sunday, March 30, 2008

"Elder Layton" Receives His Call

This is a picture taken of Sean in the Fall of 2006. He was seventeen years old, but even then it seemed (at least for mom and dad) as if things like college and a mission were far, far off in the future. But all of a sudden, reality set in as we found ourselves driving him to BYU-Provo so that he could attend the Summer term. Several months later, he submitted his paperwork for service as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

On March 19th, 2008, Sean received an envelope in the mail. He actually received the call before noon, but wouldn't open the envelope until his family and a few friends could get together...via phone or a webcam that he had set up, or in his dorm room at BYU. He must have received that patience from his mother (who always insists on such things as waiting until Christmas to open the gifts) because dad would have opened it and informed everyone else later.

So, with friends and family present or...e-present...Sean opened the envelope and read out loud: "Dear Elder Layton:You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Peru Lima-----Mission." Many of us didn't hear the words immediately following "Peru Lima" because it had gotten rather loud. I went in on the computer to see what I could find on the Lima Peru mission, only to find that there were four Lima, Peru missions. I still didn't know exactly where he was going. Several moments later he clarified it for us. Sean would be serving in the Peru Lima North Mission.

We will miss Sean, but we know that the work that he will be doing is the will of the Lord. We couldn't be any more pleased with his desire to be a full time missionary and know that he will work as if everything depended upon him, but pray with the knowledge that everything depends on God. This zeal will bring success, not only on his mission, but throughout his life, and this is a perfect training ground.

We're also very excited that he is going to serve the children of God in the Lima Peru North Mission. It really wouldn't have mattered to us if he went to Burns or to Brazil, but we take great comfort in knowing that this call came from the Lord Himself.

5 comments:

Angela Lacey said...

Ha,ha! I get to be first! Sean we are so proud of you. This is such a great idea so we can try and keep up with you. By the way, now I've written you as many times as I wrote your dad his entire mission. Sorry about that Don - I am going to make up for all those things one day! Love you! Love you! Love you

FFL8N said...

OK....so if Angie is first I guess I will need to follow her up to make sure that SHE is getting along with Don OK :) Any way Sean, I too am soooo very happy that you have decided to serve a mission!! I know you will serve the Lord in a way that will be pleasing to him. You are a great kid (um Adult??) and I will always miss the oppertunity to have you around when you were growing up. I hope there will be a time when you come home that we may live closer to you and your family!!

FFL8N said...

OH...by the way FFL8N is Uncle David!!! :)

FFL8N said...

Now I have written you 3 more times than I ever wrote Don....

Don Layton said...

Dave...by the way, I'd like to stick up for the relationship that Angie and I have. I have noticed that now that we only see each other once or twice a year, we have an incredibly warm relationship. And actually, even more than that...and I'll say it here and publicly. I love my sister Angie! Someday I plan on selling my home and moving my entire family in with her and Byron. And I'm sure we'll do just fine.