Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lima: Thousands of Manhole Covers Stolen!

My Dad wanted me to post something on the blog so here it goes ;)....

One of the most important things a missionary can do is to love and serve the people in his/her mission. When safety issues arise for those people you can be sure that missionaries are the first to worry. Check out this news article from Peru:

"There has been a significant increase in the theft of manhole covers in Lima", reported SEDAPAL, one of Peru's largest water companies. The water company has expressed its concern over the thousands of thefts not only because they will have to replace them but because the open manholes are extremely dangerous to citizens living near them. According to reports issued by SEDAPAL, 2,224 manhole covers were taken in 2006, while 2,597 were stolen the following year. "

"The most alarming rate is in 2008, when 1,530 covers were taken in the first five months of the year. The Lima-based water company affirmed that if theft continued at this rate, over 3,000 manhole covers will have been stolen by the end of the year. The majority of the iron covers where stolen in Lima's northern most districts such as Carabayllo, Comas, Independencia, Los Olivos, Puente Piedra, San Martín de Porres and Ventanilla. "

"For example, the manhole covers from the first to the sixth block of Micaela Bastidas Avenue in Comas were stolen in one day last week between 4 and 5 in the morning. According to SEDAPAL, thieves take them because they are made of iron and can be sold on the black market. The company has reported that it is replacing stolen covers with ones made of concrete or fiberglass." (Ruez, Israel J, Living in Peru, June 2008)

I'll look more into this matter after I'm in Peru of course...

So about the mission. I'm hoping to work harder than I've ever worked in my life. It's also going to be the greatest blessing I've had so far in my life. I still have so much to learn about the restored gospel, but I think that this will be the direction I need. It's very hard for me to pick up everything and leave. I'll miss my family and friends so much... and my girlfriend Andrea because of how close we are.

On a lighter note, I'm hoping to be spiritual, tan, and Peruvian when I get back! There will be ups and downs but I'm striving and praying to have an energy that will carry me through. I'm looking forward to teaching, serving, and loving the people. If anything, I'll try to save them from the manholes.


I LOVE YOU ALL
I'll be back in two years




No comments: