Monday, April 13, 2009

It Was One of the Best Baptisms Ever

HOLA!!!

We had a busy week. We live in a small house that's divided into two parts. Mariela, Alan, Oscar, and Patricia live on the other side of the wall. I think I told you a little about them. Hermana Mariela always invites us to eat something after the lessons… she's like our mom. We've been teaching them almost the entire time I've been here and we had the chance to baptize them on Saturday. Well, Hermano Alan passed his interview and went to the baptism but didn't want to get baptized. We're going to challenge him for this Saturday and if all goes well, we'll be able to complete the happy family.

The baptism was great. Our Mission Leader planned and did everything. That was a first for me…. And I consider myself blessed. It was one of the best baptisms ever. Yesterday we helped enroll Oscar and Patricia in Seminary and got permission to accompany them at 4:30 this morning. They're great and ready to start a new life. This week we helped them sand all the paint off in their living room. I almost died.

Last Monday we went to a place called Quistococha.. It's a Zoo. Elder Ridge and I were witnesses to a family of monkeys escaping for their cage. Cool… there was a dolphin and a bunch of other stuff. I'll send you the picture of the snake I got to hold for 30 cents.

Bueno…yesterday I gave a talk… on the Atonement. I can't help talking about it. It's really the center of everything we teach. I never really understood that before.




Good news, I'm not as skinny as before. I'm not going to say I'm anywhere near being fat, but I'm growing. Hope that makes you happy mom. Today we're going to the big stadium to play soccer with the two zones here in Iquitos. Fun fun.

Easter here was great. Everyone was in the house watching movies about Jeramias, or Moses, or Jesus. Something else I observed this week is that the kids here have the same obsession with High School Musical 3 in English as the kids in United States.

Oye. I feel bad for not sending letters for a while. Every Monday we've had service projects and no time for anything else. If someone can pass these messages on, it'd be great!

Nathan - I love you man and I hope you're doing well in Argentina, having tons of success. I miss all the good times and everything but I know these experiences that we're having right now are the best we've ever had. I love my mission more than anything. The people are amazing. Peru is probably better than Argentina, but I have respect for every Child of God. Thank you for working hard and loving the people.

Andrea – Thanks for everything. My Mission Leader is sending a letter for you and my parents today. I hope everything's just great and you're doing well in school. Keep doing your best, I always love to hear from you.

Briana – Beautiful Sister, I know you're doing well. I just was thinking about you today and wanted to say you should keep up with soccer and everything…. And good luck in school. I don't really know what´s going on with you, but I hope you got the easter egg with the 5 dollars.

Eric – You're the best. Always work the very hardest you can with everything you got! I know video games are cool….but, really, they're not that cool. Stay in school. Read the scriptures and pray everyday. That´s something we can all do better on. The scriptures will help you with everything.

Curtis – Thank you for finding and being a friend to a member of the Church. That's great. You should talk to all your friends about the church. Tell them that they can go with you and mom or dad will pick them up. I know it's kind of crazy, but it´s the right thing to do. Don't be afraid about choosing the right.

Listo. Everyone else I love you guys. Keep sending the letters. I'm always grateful for everything. Especially candy and ties.

Love, Elder Layton

No comments: